This project is read-only.

Please join the OSGeo .NET mailing list

May 26, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Hey there,

You may already know this, but we have started an OSGeo DotNET mailing list here: http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/dotnet so that all of us who are involved in developing .NET based open source GIS tools can coordinate our efforts to the degree possible (and as people are interested).

In fact, several of us on the mailing list have started thinking about putting together a common .NET namespace called "System.Spatial.xxx" where we can all work together to create common .NET tools with common API's. The MapWindow group has donated the first contribution which is a fairly complete port of Proj4 to the System.Spatial.Projections namespace.

You can find the project here: http://dotspatial.codeplex.com.

Thanks,

Dan

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Great idea to join in on the dotSpatial 

This could be the best way to reinvigorate the great codebase in Geoframework 2/3 and GPS.NET 2/3. Unless Jon Pearson returns to these projects I fear that they will suffer from neglect as no one else can add more contributers. This means the kind folk currently maintaining these projects will be the sole conduit for further development. Joining dotSpatial and doing a bit of refactoring could be a better option than forking these projects to get control again!

What's the consensus? It gets my vote ;)

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:42 PM
I wholeheartedly support the idea of migrating the GeoFrameworks and GPS.Net code into the OSGeo project. Unfortunately, I simply don't have the spare time to tackle that task right now. But that's the great thing about open-source software -- anyone else who *does* have the time can do the job. So, if Tidyup or anyone else is willing to take the lead and work with the OSGeo folks to get the codebase migrated, they will have my full support.
Jun 11, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Feel free to join that mailing list and I'd be happy to add either of you (Tidyup for sure?) to the dotSpatial project if you want to look at what we're doing there and potentially start thinking about how to contribute/integrate the geoframework codebase... I think we're all in agreement that it's better to use/reuse existing code to the degree possible as we try to organize a consistent/coherent underlying framework for open source geospatial .NET stuff. - Dan

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Free time is as always in short supply but I'm willing to allocate what time I can towards this. I'm managing a small dev team whose long term objectives overlap the scope of the proposed dot spatial project so I may be able to bring some help with me. I'm reticent to "take the lead" as I fear I have limited experience with the open source Geoframeworks projects but I'm willing to do what I can.

Big stick Carpet we'll need your help along the way I'm sure!

Dan, I'll contact you directly to discuss this further.